Popcorn is a very sweet, crunchy and delicious snack. Almost every person prefers eating this wonderful snack. People mostly enjoy the popcorn while watching movies in theatres or during the Lohri festival. However the popcorn is not limited to its taste, but also, there are many health benefits of eating popcorn. Popcorn is a type of corn containing many fibres, compounds and antioxidants. Due to the presence of all these materials, the popcorn is considered as a healthy snack. Air popping is a great way to prepare popcorn as it does not use much oil which can add to the fat content of this snack. That is why air popped popcorn is the most preferred type of popcorn all over the world.
Health Benefits Of popcorn
The popping corn is derived from the huge content of polyphenolic compounds, vitamins, antioxidants and fibres. Along with this, popcorn also has some magnesium and manganese content. These all materials help in controlling cholesterol levels, blood sugar and make popcorn a health snack. Let us have a look at some of the health benefits of popcorn:-
- Digestion – Like cereals, rice and bread, the popcorn is also a whole grain. The whole grain is defined as a nutrient that contains three vital parts such as endosperm, bran and germ. The higher fiber and the mineral content from the ban help in very smooth and quick digestion. Also, many digestive juices are secreted because of this fiber and help in keeping the complete digestive system healthy. Moreover, this amazing whole grain helps in avoiding the several constipation problems. Therefore, it is very important to know that the crunchy and delicious popcorn is also a whole grain and provide various benefits related to digestion.
- Cholesterol Levels – Most of the person today face the common problem of controlling the high cholesterol levels of their body. The fantastic fibre content of the popcorn also helps in removing the excessive cholesterol from the blood vessels such as arteries, veins and capillaries. After the removal of high cholesterol levels, a person is also prevented from various cardiovascular diseases such as atherosclerosis, heart attacks and strokes. Moreover, the cardiac system functions much better as the blood can be passed easily through blood vessels having very fewer cholesterols.
- Blood Sugar – Popcorn is a recommended snack for diabetic patients as it helps in better functioning of the important hormone Insulin. The fibre present in popcorn regulates and maintains the blood sugar and insulin levels get improved. So, a person can maintain the sugar level of his/her body and prevents himself/herself from diseases such as hyperglycemia or hypoglycaemia because of this whole grain.
- Cancer Prevention – It is an amazing thing that the popcorn contains the very large amount of antioxidant capacity. There are an immense number of polyphenolic compounds that can be found in the popcorn. These antioxidants search and eliminate the free radicals that arise during metabolism. These free radicals are dangerous byproducts that can be the variety of diseases, especially cancer. This happens as the free radicals are capable of moving the healthy cellular DNA into the cancerous cells. So, due to the presence of antioxidants in the popcorn the harmful free radicals from the body gets removed and there occur fewer risks of cancer disease.
- Ant-Aging – The free radicals not only cause risk of cancer but also lead to many ages related symptoms. Some common problems related to age are
- Muscle weakness
- Hair loss
- Macular degeneration and blindness
- Hair Loss
- Wrinkles and age spot
- Alzheimer’s disease
The powerful antioxidants present in popcorn help in killing the free radicals and prevent from these age-related problems.
- Weight loss – Popcorn contains very less amount of calories and does not add much fat. The fibre content in popcorn also leads to the release of a hunger hormone, ghrelin. Due to this hormone, people can enjoy a large amount of popcorn without caring for the overeating problem. Also, the natural oil used for preparing popcorn is healthy and important for the body.
In summary, along with the sweet taste popcorn also provide many health benefits to any individual. Because of so many contents, the popcorn helps in controlling the high cholesterol levels and blood sugars. This also helps in digestion of important minerals and proteins that are necessary for the body. But to avail so many benefits from this delicious snack, you should prepare popcorn in traditional styles. Also, avoid using extra butter and many seasonings while eating this snack. You can surely reduce your cancer risks if you follow some tips before enjoying popcorn. pcorn.